Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Pennies For Peace

My little guy made me smile yesterday evening. He came home from his beautiful Montessori school, where they've been reading Listen to the Wind and polishing pennies, and asked me how to spell Greg. Then he asked me how to spell Mortenson. The result was this...
I really hope you can read it. My little 4 and 1/4-year-old wants to send this to Greg Mortenson, the man behind the Central Asia Institute and its effort to construct community based schools for underserved youth (primarily girls) in Pakistan and Afghanistan. As the Central Asia Institute says, "the best hope for a peaceful and prosperous world lies in the education of all the world’s children." To educate myself, I've recently read Three Cups of Tea, the story of his efforts and successes. Eddie's Montessori is participating in the Pennies for Peace program, through which school children in the U.S. learn about making a positive impact on a global scale and contribute to the Central Asia Institute's cause.
Eddie would like me to send his note to Dr. Greg, so I will... along with a contribution.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...