Thursday, December 1, 2011

Elephants for Christmas: Shukuru and Mutara

Happy December! This will be the third Christmas that I am giving the fostering of these two elephants to my sisters. Here is Mutara...
and here is Shukuru (see her caring for the little one in the photo just below these words?)...
Aren't they just amazing? They are growing so big and healthy. They are becoming good leaders, taking care of the younger, smaller orphans, and they are good friends to each other. Here they are together, Shukuru on the left and Mutara on the right...
And here they are in summer of 2009, when each was rescued separately by the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust in Kenya (Shukuru left, Mutara right)...
The Trust is fabulous. I can't say enough about what they do for wildlife conservation in their region of Africa, specifically the Tsavo National Park in Kenya. Among so many valuable initiatives is the orphaned elephant project, in which the Trust's expert staff rescues, nurtures and raises babies who have been separated from their mothers for various, often man-made (including poaching) reasons. Eventually, after a number of years, they release and integrate the orphans into the wild herds of Tsavo. I love that, for a minimum of $50 annually, you can help foster these babies. And that you can easily give that fostering as a gift! The Trust sends monthly updates to my sisters about Shukuru and Mutara. We also can visit their website to see the keeper's diary about our elephants' progress and interaction with their friends, both elephant and human. Go here to find out more. I really get so excited about this gift each year. I love being a part of these babies' lives, even in a small way!

4 comments:

jane said...

yes! amazing! :):):)

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

That is so cool that you do this! I love elephants. They are such beautiful animals.

Menthe Blanche said...

What a great story! It's a beautiful action I think. I am going to visit their website.

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Liza, I loved this post when I first saw it, but somehow failed to leave a comment. So a little late, but did want to tell you what a lovely tradition I think this is & what lovely gifts for your sisters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...